Sunday, December 18, 2011

Inception Cookies

Ahh...home sweet home! I am finally on Winter Break!  Unfortunately, I seem to have bad luck associated with the start of break.  Senior year of high school, I had my wisdom teeth removed on the first day of break and it was terrible! I couldn't eat during the holidays! Today didn't start out so great either...I woke up super early because my ear was killing me.  Turns out, the back to my new piercing fell off and my ear was growing back. Ouch! I decided to get my stuff together and go home to figure out what to do.  As I was packing up everything, I smacked my forehead on a glass shelf in my room.  Double ouch! Now, I have a gash on my forehead, a headache that won't go away, and I am on my way to a Hanukkah party where my sister-in-law is going to re-pierce my ear.  (She's a doctor so it's pretty legit). 

But, enough of all this depressing stuff! As I walked in the door, the first thing that happened was that my little brother showed me a video that he made inspired by the movie Inception.  Check out the video at the end of the post! This made me remember our epic Inception Dinner night and so I decided to post the recipes from it!
 
I love making Oreo stuffed chocolate chip cookies.  They have sort of turned into one of my signature items.  Over the summer, my brother, Zack, and I had an inception night where we watched the movie Inception and made Inception Cookies and Inception Cupcakes.  These are cookies within a cookie and a cookie within a cupcake.  They are amazing and so cute! I used nutella frosting for the cupcakes because it is my favorite, but you can use any flavor! Brown sugar icing, or chocolate would be delicious as well.

Inception Cookies
Source: 9gag
Ingredients:
1 cup softened butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
1 package Double Stuff Oreo cookies (I've used regular, low-fat, and double stuffed and trust me, double stuffed are the best)


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together with a mixer until well combined.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.
3. In medium bowl mix the flour, salt, and baking soda.  Slowly add to wet ingredients until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. You can use an ice cream scoop, but I think your hands work best.  With your hands scoop out some cookie dough and press an oreo on top of it.  Then take some more cookie dough and place on top.  Press the sides of the cookie dough together and ball it up so that it covers the oreo. 
5. Place onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake cookies for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
This makes some epically huge cookies.  Usually I cut them in half because then you can see the cookie within the cookie and its a more typical portion.  

Inception Cupcakes
Source: Amandeleine

Ingredients:

Filling:
4 Tablespoons (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 Tablespoons light brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
7 ounces sweetened condensed milk (1/2 a can)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

Cupcakes:
1 Betty Crocker Supermoist yellow cake mix (and ingredients package calls for)

Nutella Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup nutella
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1-2 tsp milk if needed


Directions:
1. Make the cookie dough: combine the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the flour, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla until incorporated and smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips. Using a tablespoon, scoop out balls of cookie dough and place on a cookie sheet.  Cover the sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate for half an hour.
2. Place cupcake liners in a cupcake pan. Make the cake mix according to the box directions. Fill cupcake slots about half full and then drop a ball of cookie dough in.  Continue to fill up the cupcake slots until they are 3/4 full.
3. Bake according to directions on box.  You may need to leave these in a little longer than normal.  Bake until a tooth pick comes out clean.
4. For the frosting, beat butter and nutella on medium speed until smooth.  Add in sugar and mix well.  Add milk if the frosting seems too thick.   

5 comments:

  1. Inception indeed these look stunning :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my wisdom tooth removed too, I called 877-639-0820 for a dentist. I wonder when the other ones would grow, it's too painful. You had a really unlucky time! But your cookies look delicious, I'm gonna try em out later. (I can't believe you were able to think of something even with all that's happened haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember these *excited voice*! (though, really, they do inspire us to do great things with our lives)

    ReplyDelete