Sunday, January 22, 2012

No-Bake Cheesecake

School starts tomorrow and I have been having trouble accepting that fact.  True, I only have three classes this week.  Also true, I don't start going into the middle school for my practicum for another week.  So basically, school is only sort of starting.  However, I already have homework!

I spent my day making a cheesecake to kick-off the first DTS meeting of the semester.  This epic cake has to bake for 60-90 minutes.  So, that means I can get some work done while I'm waiting...right?  WRONG! I got my books out...and then decided to make a no-bake cheesecake recipe that I found while browsing my cheesecake options.  I think I may have a problem. I think I'm a baking addict...

The recipe looked really simple and really delicious and, in my defense, I did need to make a friend a cake as a present.  So really, I wasn't procrastinating.  I was being productive.  Yep, I'm going to go with that.

The original recipe, found at Joy of Baking, called for a 9-inch tart pan or springform pan.  Unfortunately, I left my new tart pan at home and my springform pan was already occupied with my first cheesecake.  So, I used a square 8 by 8 inch pan.  What was really good about this, was that this pan was disposable and came with a cute lid.  It's perfect for giving away!  Plus, a 9-inch tart pan and an 8 by 8 square pan are totally compatible and hold almost exactly the same amount.

No-Bake Cheesecake (adapted from Joy of Baking)



Square Cheesecake To-Go...weird right?

Ingredients:
Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
Filling:
8 oz cream cheese (I used regular)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions:
1. Grease an 8 by 8 inch pan.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter.  Press the crust mixture into the bottom the pan and up the sides, about 1 inch. Cover and place in the refrigerator while you make filling.
3.  In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.  Add the sugar and beat until well combined and smooth.  Then, add the vanilla and beat to combine.  In a separate bowl, beat the cream until a soft peak forms and the cream starts to thicken.  Gradually, fold the cream into the cream cheese mixture.  Pour filling into the crust.  Spread the filling out so that it is even and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
4. To serve: serve with fresh fruit or fruit topping.  Yum!
Enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. This is the type of information I’ve long been trying to find. Thank you for writing this information. creative cakes orange

    ReplyDelete