Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cinnamon Mug Cake

What do you do when you have too much batter?

Well, some people, patient people, would wait for the cupcakes that are taking up all the pan space to finish, cool, and then make more cupcakes with the rest of the batter.  Those people are not me and I was not patient.  I made Raspberry Cinnamon Cupcakes and after I filled 24 wells, I still had some leftover batter.  So, I found an oven-proof mug and poured the rest of the batter in.


The result: probably one of the best things I have ever accidentally made.

Hot chocolate?...nope! Steaming  mug of cinnamon cake with cinnamon cream cheese frosting!
The Glee finally was on tonight and every Tuesday a few of the girls in my house all get together and watch glee.  I always bake before this to be ready for study night on Wednesday.

Glorious oven safe mug
Tonight, I was downstairs baking for study night and having a grand time.  Kim helped me out and what ensued was a mix of baking/dance party/photography workshop.  It was awesome.  We had so much fun and I think that this provided the base for our spontaneous creativity.  And thus, the mug cake.  We found the mug on the shelf and had to scrape off the sticker on the bottom.  Waiting to see those beautiful letters: "Oven-Safe" was one of the longest waits of my life.  Slowly we peeled back the sticker: Oven-S...A...F...E!!!!  We immediately plopped the rest of that batter into the mug and stuck it in the oven with the rest of the cupcakes.  No waiting for one batch to finish and cool, everything got baked in one take.  The mug was perfect! We had to leave it in for an extra 10-15 minutes compared to the cupcakes.  Then we dumped some cinnamon cream cheese frosting on top, grabbed three forks (Juliana showed up by then) and went upstairs to watch Glee.

Perfection!
I don't want to spoil anything for those of you who are waiting to watch Glee on Hulu or some other site, but this episode was epic! It was the winter finale and that mug cake was the perfect way to celebrate.  Such a great night: friends, glee, and cake!

Check out the recipe for the cinnamon cupcake batter here!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment