Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fudge Brownies

I was having a hard time finding inspiration this week for the weekly study night treat for DTS.  Steve, one of my fraternity brothers, suggested Plain Ol' Brownies.  That is what it occurred to me, not only was this a fantastic idea, but I had yet to make a "plain" brownie recipe.  I hardly make anything "plain."

However, I have been in a sort of "plain" mood.  It is that time of the semester when we are almost half way through and people are starting to hit a slump.  I know I am.  I have been feeling more tired and less motivated and I have been craving a trip home for a weekend just to relax and see my family.  Plain brownies are the perfect treat to embody what I am feeling.  There is nothing exciting about them, but they are still amazing.  And, even though I am feeling sort of plain, I am, of course, still amazing :)

I don't want to brag, but although I am feeling sort of lack luster, I am still doing really well in my classes and my practicum.  I have taught two different classes on my own at this point and everything I do reinforces my love for teaching.  Also, I am having great experiences with DTS/work/friends.  It may be that time of year where we hit a little mid-winter slump, but try to remember, there are still great things happening.

Like Fudge Brownies:

Fudge Brownies (adapted from The Yummy Morsel)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1 3/4 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
5 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp coffee grounds
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8x8 inch pan with foil and grease generously.
2. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.  Set aside.
3. In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate, stirring after a minute.  Melt completely and set aside.
4. While the chocolate cools, in a large bowl beat eggs, sugars, coffee grounds, and vanilla until smooth.  Mix in the chocolate mixture until well combined.  Slowly mix in the flour mixture until just combined.  Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Enjoy :)

So I followed the original recipe exactly except I used bittersweet chocolate and I had to bake my brownies in a foil pan since mine isn't at school with me.  Let's be honest here, they did not come together.  The brownies turned out very mushy and very fudge-y.  I am fine with this, but I understand that some people prefer to not eat brownies with a spoon.  I brought them over to Tamara's with Emily and we loved them.  And then this happened:

Step 1: Take mini inception cookie and spread on way-too-gooey brownie

mmm...

eat...

savor...

freak out about how amazing it is!

So I guess I am going to try another recipe tomorrow (and a different pan) so that I will have something for study night! 

The Cookie-Brownie Sandwich

No comments:

Post a Comment