Friday, March 2, 2012

Savory Veggie Quiche-Lightened Up!

Dinner tonight was fantastic.  We had healthy salmon and then we also made a savory quiche.  My friend Leigh made this great quiche last week and she found a recipe that suggested a potato crust to lighten up the dish.  This is great because it makes the dish so much better for you, and easier to make! Win-Win! I have been craving quiche ever since.


Ages ago, I saved a recipe from Naturally Ella that was for a Roasted Sweet Potato, Caramelized Onion, and Gorgonzola Quiche. This looked so good and incorporated some of my favorite foods.  Since my mom and I were set on making a healthy meal, I figured this was the perfect dish to accompany the salmon.  I adjusted it slightly because we wanted to use some mushrooms and then lightened it up with the potato crust and egg whites! 

Savory Veggie Quiche-Lightened Up!

Ingredients:
1 large russet potato
1 large sweet potato
1/2 cup mushrooms
3 large, sweet onions
1 tsp salt
3-4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
3 large eggs
2 large egg whites
2 1/2 cups skim milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
dash of nutmeg

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Peel and slice the russet potato into rounds about 1/4 inch thick.  Grease a quiche or pie pan (9 inch pie pan probably works best, I used an 11 inch quiche pan and my dish couldn't fit all the eggs...uh oh!).  Place the rounds on the bottom of the pan and along the sides. Again, I had to cut some of my rounds in half so that I could line them along the sides of my quiche pan. Bake the potato crust in the oven for 10 minutes or until the potatoes start to look translucent.  Set aside to cool.

Oven ready
Done!
2. Peel and slice the onions into 1/4 inch thick slices.  In a medium skillet, heat onions with 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium to low heat for 20 minutes, tossing occasionally.  Add in the 1 tsp of salt and continue to cook for another 45-60 minutes, tossing every 15-20 minutes.  Onions will be soft, brown, and translucent.

Done!
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Peel and slice the sweet potato into 1/4 inch thick rounds.  Toss potato slices with 1 tbsp of olive oil and place on a covered baking sheet.  Bake for about 20 minutes until potatoes soften and start to brown.

4. In another skillet, sauté the mushrooms with 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium to low heat until they are soft and browned.  This should take around 30 minutes.
All ready to saute!
Done!
5.  Once all of these items are ready, assemble the quiche.  Place sweet potato slices over the bottom of the crust.  Cover with the onions and mushrooms and then sprinkle the cheese over everything.

Oven-Ready

Done!

6. Finally, beat the eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.  Pour egg mixture over everything in the quiche pan.  Bake quiche at 375 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until quiche stays firm when shaken.

Enjoy :)

This dish is full of great, healthy tastes and made me feel really great.  I am definitely going to make it again.  Next time, I will probably just make a sweet potato crust instead of double potatoes, and I might use a different cheese or more cheese.




I felt great about all the healthy choices I made today...and then we got gelato...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment