Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Light Vegetarian Slow-Cooker Chili

My litter bro is all grown up! Today he turned 18 and I just can't believe it.  It makes me feel old and I am aware that I am nowhere near being old.  But still, it's pretty crazy to think that he is not an "adult."  I mean, he got to purchase a lottery ticket! Also, he is leaving for college in the fall! What?!?!? How did that happen? That means I'm going to be a SENIOR in college.  And that, my friends, is truly terrifying.

For the little guy's birthday, my family and I spent the day being tourists in our own city.  The great city of Chicago always has something interesting to offer up. We went downtown to the Museum of Science and Industry to see the Myth Busters exhibit.  Unfortunately it was sold out, but we hung out there anyways.  There were a lot of cool things to see and it was fun to be at the museum.  Afterwards, we headed out for dinner.  We were a little early for our reservation so we stopped at Kafein in Evanston for a little pick-me-up.  Fortunately, Kafein was also right next to Tapas Barcelona, our dinner!  Tapas Barcelona was fantastic and I would definitely go there again.  It was so fun to try a bunch of different small dishes and they were all amazing!

Also, my boyfriend was able to come in town to celebrate with all of us before we leave to go to St. Louis.  It is my spring break and so I am spending the first day at home for my brothers birthday and then I am going to St. Louis with Bri to spend some of my break with him!

Vegetarian Chili (slightly adapted from Green Lite Bites)





Ingredients:
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (we used low-sodium)
1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (also low-sodium)
1 (about 15 oz) can of whole kernel corn
1 (about 15 oz) can diced tomatoes (we used the basil flavored one)
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 red pepper, chopped
1 small white onion, chopped
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp dried cilantro
1/2 tbsp nutmeg

Directions:
1. Put all the ingredients in your slow-cooker and turn on low for 5 hours. That's it! Serve however you want! We used a little low-fat cheddar cheese and made some healthy corn bread
Enjoy :)




Yum!
This recipe is featured on Foodie Friends Friday Linky Party!

3 comments:

  1. this looks seriously delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chili of any kind. thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.

    ReplyDelete