Monday, April 2, 2012

Peanut Butter Pie

Today Bri and I left for St. Louis.  When we got here we took a tour of Busch Stadium (where the St. Louis Cardinals play).  I am not the biggest sports fan out there, but baseball is something I really love.  However, I am a HUGE Cubs fan (my mother would probably disown me if I was anything else) and it was slightly difficult to be surrounded by all those Cardinals fans.  I survived, and it was fun to see the Stadium.  We even got to go down to the field and sit in the dugout!

After our tour, we we grocery shopping!!! This is one of my favorite things to do and it was a ton of fun.  We got all the ingredients for the amazing food we are planning on making while I am here.  Some of our intended menu items include, vegetarian chili, healthy corn bread, whole wheat calzones, and protein packed peanut butter pie! Following our super fun trip to the store, we got ready to go to dinner with Brian's friends.

We found this great little place in St. Louis called the Iron Barley.  It was even featured on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives! Unfortunately, the wait was really long and then it took an extraordinarily long time to get our food.  My recommendation: get there early and enjoy the bar, it is a brew-house after all, and plan for this place to take up most of your evening.  This is totally okay since the atmosphere is great and the food is AMAZING.  It was super weird and super good.  Brian got their famous dish: the Ballistic Elvis, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with toasted bananas, red pepper flake,s and cheddar cheese on Texas toast.  I'm not a banana person, but even I tried a bite and thought it was great.  For dessert, we split their Peanut Butter Blaster pie (research of course) so that we would have something to compare to our protein-packed peanut butter pie.  Their pie was pretty fantastic and the best part was that it was SPICY.  Weird right?  Somehow it worked and we loved it.

I think that our experience with the strange foods at Iron Barley made us a little creative and adventurous because our Peanut Butter Pie turned into Mini Pies and Parfaits...check it out:

Peanut Butter Mini Pies and Parfaits (adapted from Little Bitty Bakes)






Ingredients:
32 oz plain, fat-free, greek yogurt
3/4 cup natural, creamy peanut butter
2 tbsp french vanilla cream (optional)
1 packaged low-fat oreos
mini reeses








Directions:
1. In a large bowl, beat the yogurt and peanut butter until smooth and creamy.  Mix in a little cream at a time until you have the desired taste.  You don't even need the cream, but we wanted ours a little sweeter :)
2. For mini pies: place 1 oreo in the bottom of each cupcake well.  Then place about 2 tbsp of the peanut butter mixture on top.  Top it off with a mini reese!

3. For parfaits: Crush one oreo in the bottom of your dish.  Place about 3-4 tbsp of peanut butter mixture on top.  Then, crush another oreo and a few mini reeses to place on top.  Of course, depending on the size of your dish you can make more layers if you want.


 
Enjoy :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, the parfaits look incredible! I'm totally going to make them. Thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! This recipe was so great and I'm so glad I came across it! Enjoy your parfait :)

      Delete
  2. Yum! Not sure how I missed this first time around. These parfaits do like like a perfect way to end a meal. Delicious blend of classic flavors. Well done, your picture really does make me want one now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So yummy!!! I want some lol. Thank you so much for your friend request on FoodBuzz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love your blog! Those cookies you just made look fantastic!

      Delete