Thursday, April 12, 2012

Risotto Stuffed Mushrooms

Today I have a recipe for you that is honestly one of the best things I have ever ate.  I hope that you all enjoy as much as I have!

In other news, I just registered for my senior year of college! I can't figure out where the last three years have gone and honestly I am freaking out about entering the "real-world."  I love it here and I am having such a hard time imagining life after college.  However, part of my registration includes: "Part-Time Student Teaching-Middle School," and that makes me truly excited.  I have had such a great time testing the waters with teaching this semester and I can't wait to really take over a class or two next semester! Middle schoolers are also the funniest/most interesting/most fascinating people ever.  Every day I find myself being totally okay with waking up at 6 am because I get to hang out with some pretty awesome students by 7:30.  They are just great.

Oh and by the way, if anyone has any spectacular ideas on how to teach 8th graders how to simplify radical expressions (you know, square roots) in a fun and interesting way, I am all ears.  Next week, I have to teach that lesson and, while I want it to be fun and interesting, it is very simple and I am struggling in the creativity department. Help!

Along with all these fun and new developments are my new Page on facebook: facebook.com/BinomialBaker (please "like") and my new twitter account: JodieBerman21 (please "follow").

I have so much fun sharing my thoughts on life and recipes with you all! Enjoy the following recipe for Parmesan Risotto Stuff Mushrooms and please please please let me know if you have any advice for a future math teacher! Thanks :)

Parmesan Risotto Stuffed Mushrooms (adapted from Carina-Forum and RealSimple)
Ingredients:
3-4 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1 cup dry, white wine
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
6 large portobella mushrooms
olive oil
Directions:
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a simmer and keep warm over medium-low heat.
2. In a separate medium saucepan, melt 2 tbsp of butter and mix with the chopped onion and garlic.  Stir with a wooden spoon until the onion starts to become transparent. This will take about 5 minutes.  Add the rice and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for another 2 minutes.  Add the wine and continue to stir until it is absorbed, about 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add 1/2 cup of brother and stir into the risotto until absorbed.  Continue to do this, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes, or until the rice is cooked, though stir firm.
5. Add the rest of the butter, salt, pepper, and parmesan and stir to combine.
6. Preheat oven to 300. Wash the mushrooms and cut off the stems.  Lightly brush olive oil on the bottoms and tops of the mushrooms and place on a cookie sheet. Scoop risotto on top of each mushroom.  Bake for about 20 minutes.
Enjoy :)



11 comments:

  1. Great idea! I usually put mushrooms in my risotto but why not put risotto in my mushrooms?! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, not really fun and interesting, but teaching eighth graders to simplify radicals, I can do. I used to teach eighth grade math and often still have review this with my high schoolers. I use I ladder rather than a factor tree because they lose factors in the tree and have them circle the pairs to come out and the singles stay under the radical, if you know what I mean...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the idea! It's great to have some good advice. Sometimes in "teacher-school" I feel like they just throw us in there and it's "sink or swim!"

      Delete
    2. Well, honestly it is kind of that way in that different things work for different people and you won't know what works for you until you try it. I'm sure you will be great! Oh and no I'm not answering you from school. I'm on spring break. Pretty sure we are the last to go, but it sure is nice that it is actually warm outside.

      Delete
    3. Lucky! Our break was two weeks ago. It has been so hard to get back into the swing of things. I could use another break :). Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. Great idea! Mushroom risotto is a favorite of mine so i know I'd love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog so much! I aspire to be like you one day. I also learned to cook at uni and now can't get enough of it! Please check out my post and comment on any recipes you like :)
    http://memoirsofalondonkitchen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete