Friday, June 1, 2012

Black Bean, Corn, and Tomato Salad


My brother and I decided that we are going to run a 10K together on the 4th of July.  Today we completed our first workout.  I am also training for a half marathon and for the most part these training schedules match up.  However, today, my half marathon schedule said: Rest and my 10K schedule said: run 20 minutes.  So, I figured it would work for me to do a slower jog for 20 minutes.  I didn't want to strain myself, but I still wanted to run with my brother.  I'm not sure it was the best idea since I felt pretty tired, and I have to run 5 miles tomorrow for the half marathon schedule.  Any runners out there with advice?

I do love running and it always makes me feel great to start the day off that way.  This morning I also met with my director and other site-director for day camp this summer and we discussed themes and plans for our camp calendars.  I am doing a Summer Olympics Theme (Jodie's Journey for the Gold) and it is going to be great! I have found a ton of cute ideas for activities and camp crafts/art projects.  However, if anyone out there has any ideas I would be SO grateful to hear them.  This is my 6th summer working at a camp and sometimes I just have trouble coming up with new and creative ideas.

With all this good stuff going on in my life, I figured I would share a recipe that is just plain good for you.  Physically, it is healthy and packed with good protein for runners.  Mentally, it tastes fantastic.  It's a win-win recipe.  We enjoyed this salad at our Memorial Day dinner and everyone loved it!

Black Bean, Corn, and Tomato Salad (adapted from Center Cut Cook)

Ingredients:
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can whole kernel corn
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
2 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp lime juice
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, toss the beans, corn, tomatoes, and red onion.  Toss in the cilantro (leaves only!).  Next, pour in the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and lime juice and toss the salad.  Taste a little and add salt and pepper as you desire.
Serve with chips, or on it's own! Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment