Monday, June 4, 2012

Blueberry Dark Chocolate Banana Bread

Half Marathon Monday Update: I just finished a 3 mile run and I am about to start a 30 minute abs work-out with my mom, but I wanted to share some updates with you all first.

In terms of running, today marks the beginning of week 3 in my training schedule.  Things have been going really well, but I think I should be icing my knees a big more.  Also, today I noticed that the inside of my left ankle is hurting a tad when I turn corners.  Is this a shoe problem or me?  Anyways, overall I'm feeling really great.  I love running and having this schedule and goal is keeping me motivated and feeling good about myself.  I also joined a gym for 3 months (student discount deal) and my mom and I have been going about 3 times a week for Zumba and a Hi-Lo Interval class.  I also really want to get into pilates because I think it's a great low-impact work-out that will balance out the running and keep me some-what flexible.

In terms of food, the other day I noticed 4 extremely ripe bananas sitting out in my kitchen.  So, I spontaneously threw together a banana bread that I had been wanting to try.  I found a recipe over at Curry and Comfort that doesn't use any butter or added sugar! I really wanted to give it a whirl.  Also, when I was in the mood to bake and conveniently had 4 ripe bananas, I was also craving blueberries and chocolate.  So, I decided on a blueberry-dark chocolate-banana bread.  One word: yum!

Blueberry Dark Chocolate Banana Bread

Ingredients:
4 ripe bananas
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice
2 eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup dried blueberries
1 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a loaf pan.
2.  In a stand mixer, or large bowl, beat the bananas to mash them.  Beat in the honey, oil, vanilla, lemon juice, and eggs.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together.  Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until just combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips and blueberries.
4. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes.
Enjoy :)


2 comments: