Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pink Champagne Cupcakes

Yesterday was my best friend, Katie's, 21st birthday. Katie is one of my dearest friends; she is practically my sister.  I was honestly more excited about her birthday that I think I will be about mine (which is in 1 month from today!).  I love Katie so much and she is truly part of my family.  I feel so blessed to have a friend like her. I can't wait to celebrate with her 21-style in 1 month when I join her in being 21!


We went to a restaurant called Bluegrass for dinner and the service was amazing! The waiter, chef, and owner all brought her special dishes and everything was amazing.  They made her their signature martini, brought out amazing appetizers, and of course, there was a special dessert.

Yes, there is a live fish in there...


After dinner,  She had a bunch of friends over for dessert and I really wanted to bring her something cute and special.  I searched through my Intoxicated Cupcakes book and found the perfect little treat: Champaign Cupcakes.  They were pink and sparkly and truly represented Katie in every way.  Plus, they were perfect for a 21st birthday as they had champaign in the cake AND the frosting! 

Champagne Cupcakes (from Intoxicated Cupcakes by Kate Legere)
Ingredients:
For the cupcakes:
6 large egg whites
5 oz unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 2/3 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup Champagne 
1/4 cup sparkly sprinkles (or confetti)
For the glaze:
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
6 drops pink food coloring
5 tbsp Champagne
sparkly sprinkles for decorating

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a cupcake pan with 18 liners.
2. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peak forms. Set aside.
3. In another large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 
4. In another medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt.  Alternate adding the flour mixture and the Champagne to the butter mixture, starting with the flour and ending with the flour. Stir in the sprinkles.
5. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites.  Then, fold in the remaining 2/3.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and baking for about 20-23 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Cool cupcakes completely.
7.  Make the glaze by whisking all the ingredients, except for the sprinkles, together.  Spread glaze on cooled cupcakes and top with the sprinkles for decoration.
Enjoy :)

Happy Birthday Katie!!!






12 comments:

  1. Now there's a way to celebrate in style. I remember my 21st; I ordered a Caramel Apple Martini (surprisingly enough, there is such a thing as TOO sweet, at least when it comes to martinis). I think I would've rathered one of those champagne cupcakes instead! Very neat idea and I'm sure she loved it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that martini sounds pretty good too! And thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Hey, I love your blog! So I've nominated you for the versatile bloggers award. Check out the post to find out more =] http://food-fork-and-good.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/herb-crusted-chicken-with-veggie-fries.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a really fun night out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the inspiration for this post, I feel compelled to respond. As the best friend of my little binomial baker- I am slightly biased but I will say these are quite possibly the prettiest looking cupcakes I have laid eyes on. I too do my fair share of baking and nothing ever looks like that...ever! I am also not nearly as daring in the fact that I would never even think to put champaign in a baked good. The cupcakes were not overly sweet and the icing helped balance the flavor nicely. The champaign came through in a very subtle way, not at all overpowering.

    A super big thank you to Jodie for helping me celebrate my 21st birthday. I am just excited for this next month as we countdown to her GOLDEN BIRTHDAY! I'm thinking 21 days of baking leading up to the big day. Who's with me?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man...21 days of baking?!?! That would be perfection (Chandler Bing reference) and I loved celebrating with you and I am so happy that you had a good time!

      Delete
  5. Wow! These sound great! We love champagne anything in our home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute cupcake, and what a perfect 21st celebration!

    ReplyDelete