Saturday, July 21, 2012

Golden Birthday Part 1: Fun Funfetti Cupcakes

Today is my Golden Birthday!!! That's right, I am 21 on the 21st and I couldn't be more excited! I can't believe it is finally here! I will be going out tonight and I can't wait to share my adventures tomorrow, but first, I want to share a little about yesterday...

Yesterday was not quite my birthday, but it was the day I celebrated at camp with my staff and campers.  It was such a great day! My friend and co-site director Anna, make an awesome cake to share with the staff in the morning.  It was so sweet of her! She is one of my good friends and she will be partaking in the shenanigans tonight!

Then, my campers sang to me in the morning and were just so cute! We had a great day at camp, and then I brought it treats for my birthday.  I wanted to make something homemade and fun so I decided on mini cupcakes.  I make funfetti cupcakes based on a recipe I found at How Sweet It Is and then I made a vanilla buttercream and chocolate frosting.  I also decided it would be cute to give the campers to recipe.  Here is what they got:

Jodie’s Fun Funfetti Cupcakes
Makes 12-14 large cupcakes or 24-30 mini cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
1/3 cup skim milk
1/3 cup sprinkles
more sprinkles for decoration

Directions:
1.     Preheat oven to 350 and line a cupcake pan with liners.
2.     In a medium bowl, whisk the flour and baking powder together.  Set aside.
3.     In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar on high until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.   Beat in the eggs and vanilla until well combined.  Alternate adding the flour mixture with the milk.  Start with 1/3 of the flour, then ½ milk, then 1/3 flour, ½ milk, and last 1/3 of the flour.  Stir in the sprinkles.
4.     Fill cupcake holes about 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minutes for big cupcakes and about 14-15 minutes for mini cupcakes.

Chocolate Frosting

Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 oz low-fat cream cheese
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup skim milk
2-2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Beat the butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy.  Beat in the powdered sugar and then slowly add the milk and vanilla.  Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl on high, stirring after 30 seconds, until melted.  Beat in the chocolate.  Frost cooled cupcakes!

Vanilla Frosting

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla
skim milk, if needed

Directions:
Beat the butter until light and fluffy.  Beat in the powdered sugar and then slowly add the vanilla. Add about 1 Tbsp of milk at a time, if needed, to get the consistency you want.  Frost cooled cupcakes!


Now, I am off for a nice 8ish mile run before the rest of my birthday fun commences.  I think there is a brunch involved, a renewing of my license, and then my friends and I are headed downtown for a night out in Chicago.  We are doing dinner, bars, and then staying at a hotel...I can't wait!!! OMG I'M 21!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Happy 21st Birthday Jodie! I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 21st! Enjoy this day! By the way, here in Canada, we call this a champagne birthday. 21 on 21.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that! Such a fun name for a 21st birthday as well!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! Looks like you've kicked it off with a great start!

    ReplyDelete