Friday, August 3, 2012

French Toast Cupcakes

Tomorrow I am embarking on a 10 day road trip to the east coast with my fantastic boyfriend, Bri.

Today is our 3 year anniversary and I am as happy as I was on day 1 with this guy.  He has become my best friend and I can't imagine what I would do with out him.  I am so excited to go on this trip with him.  We are going to Washington DC, New York City, and Boston.  It is going to be amazing and I can't wait to share all my adventures!

The fact that I can take this vacation also means that it is the last day of camp! Yesterday we celebrated two of the counselors birthdays and I brought in Gluten Free Nutella Brownies and French Toast Cupcakes.  These cupcakes are so yummy and you all should make them right now.  Plus, I thought it was cute to bring them to camp where we usually eat our treats in the morning.  This cupcake sounds like breakfast!

French Toast Cupcakes (adapted from Bakingdom)

Ingredients:
For the cupcake:
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
2 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup non-fat greek yogurt
For the streusel topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
5 tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
For the frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter
3 1/2-4 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup maple syrup


Directions:
1. Make the streusel: Stir the brown sugar, sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg together.  Using your hands, mix in the butter by pinching it in until mixture looks like wet sand and is crumbly.  Place in freezer while you make the cupcakes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.  I made 24 large and 12 mini cupcakes with this recipe.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves together.
4. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar on high until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well combined.  Beat in the vanilla.  Alternate adding in the flour mixture with the greek yogurt, starting with the flour and ending with the flour.  I did 1/3 flour, 1/2 yogurt, 1/3 flour, 1/2 yogurt, and 1/3 flour.  Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.  Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over all your cupcakes.  Bake for about 20 minutes (for the large cupcakes) or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.  The mini cupcakes take slightly less time.
5. Make the frosting: Beat the butter on high until light and fluffy.  Beat in the sugar, 1/2 cup at at time, until you have a desired consistency and taste.  Beat in the vanilla, salt, and syrup.  Frost cooled cupcakes!

Enjoy :)

AND for more amazing French Toast ideas, please head on over to My King Cook!  There are some fantastic and different ideas for making french toast.  Who wouldn't want that?


7 comments:

  1. Dessert that tastes like breakfast is right up my alley! Congratulations on your anniversary and have fun on your vacation! It's supposed to be nice here in NYC for the next week, not too hot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! Any good suggestions of things to do in new york? I can't wait!

      Delete
  2. yumyum! Do you make a new recipe everyday?? wow
    if you want, can you visit my blog? I'm a newbie so I would love feedback!!! thanks!!
    grace-y-lee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try! Thank you for sending me your site! Id love to check it out!

      Delete
  3. Happy anniversary & have a wonderful trip! :-)

    Those cupcakes look AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cupcakes are crazy delicious. Love the Cheese and maybe put some caramel on top would be Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete