Sunday, November 4, 2012

Puff Pastry Apple Pie

I can't believe it is already November! Time is flying by.   This semester is going to be over before I know it and I will be done with middle school, off to high school, and into the last semester of my college experience.  I really can't believe it!

While it is overwhelming to me that I can't slow things down a bit, I am very excited for Thanksgiving and then Winter Break.  I have not been home with my family since the summer and I miss them.  I can't wait to take a break with them because time does seem to slow down a bit during breaks.  Instead of middle school, classes, DTS, homework, (some sleep in there), and seeing friends, I can just focus on hanging out with my family and relaxing a little.


Today I have a recipe that I think is just perfect for the upcoming holidays.  It is an apple pie, but it is baked in the shape of a wreath!  It's a beautiful dessert that would look amazing on any holiday table.  Plus, it is baked in a puff pastry so it is light and flaky.  I made homemade puff pastry and then adapted a recipe from Create with Mom for the Apple Pie Wreath.  Bri helped me make this awesome dessert and it was amazing!

Puff Pastry Apple Pie 




Ingredients:
puff pastry
3 apples
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
3 squirts of lemon juice
1 egg

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 375 and line a glass baking dish with parchment paper.
2.  Peel and core the apples and then slice into 1/4-1/2 inch thick slices.  Place in a bowl with the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice.  Toss to combine.
3.  Roll out your puff pastry on a lightly floured surface so that you have a long rectangle, about 2 feet long and 5 inches wide.  Place the apple mixture along the middle of the puff pastry and then fold up the sides of the pastry to cover the apples  Pinch the pastry together so that you have a log of apples.  Take both ends of the log and bring together to form the wreath.  Pinch the ends together.  Place the wreath in the prepared pan.
4.  Lightly beat the egg and then brush it over the entire pastry.  Then, take a knife and cut slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape while baking.
5.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is lightly browned.


modeling with my dessert :)

Enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. I'd like a big slice of it! I am a new follower from Rome!

    ReplyDelete