Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Baby Blue Baked Chocolate Donuts

We are currently in our last week of classes here at the UW.  I can't believe this because it is my last week of classes EVER!  Woah! When did that happen?  I have one Educational Psychology class and one Methods class left in my undergraduate career. Then, I have to turn in a couple papers and I am done! Well, I'm done with university classes.  I still get to keep teaching middle school part-time until the end of their second quarter and then it's off to high school for third and fourth quarter! 

With the semester winding down and the holidays coming up, it's time for lots of baked goods! I have THREE secret snowflakes to make adorable treats for and then I am also bringing in something for our Holiday Breakfast at school.  Besides that, it's also time to get creative with little gifts! I can't wait.  

My friend Tamara and I made these adorable mini donuts for her cooperating teacher!  He and his wife are having a baby boy and Tamara wanted to give him something to celebrate his last day of school before the baby came!  These adorable donuts are perfect!  We made mini baked chocolate donuts and then a blue glaze to go on top.  They were super tasty too (I had to try one before she took the rest!).  

Baked Chocolate Donuts with Baby Blue Glaze (adapted from Buns in My Oven)

Ingredients: 
1 cup flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 tbsp white vinegar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
For the Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp skim milk
3 drops blue food coloring

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 and lightly grease a mini donut pan.
2. Place the white vinegar in the bottom of a liquid measuring cup.  Fill the measuring cup with the skim milk up to the 1/2 cup line.  Let sit for 5 minutes.  This will make buttermilk!
3.  In a bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt together.
4.  In a large bowl, beat the egg, vanilla, butter, and milk mixture.  Mix in the dry ingredients until just combined.  Fill the donut pan up to the top and bake for about 10 minutes.  Let cool.
5.  Make the glaze: Mix the milk and powdered sugar together until smooth and creamy.  Mix in the food coloring until you have the desired color.  Drizzle over the donuts!

Enjoy :)

2 comments: