Sunday, December 2, 2012

Maple Pumpkin Souffles with Maple Whipped Cream

If you are ever in St. Louis, you need to go to Jilly's Cupcake Bar & Cafe.  I have been to St. Louis a ton and I can't believe that I just went for the first time!  They were winners on Cupcake Wars and they have been ranked one of the best cupcakes in America on The Daily Meal.  Bri and I went there for lunch and had food as well as cupcakes.  Everything was amazing, but beware, the cupcakes are gigantic! I was amazed at how big they were.  However, the cake and frosting is surprisingly light.  Somehow I managed to devour the entire thing.  We got the Reese's Chunkage and Peppermint Stick.  It was crazy good.




Now, I know that October is way over, but today's recipe is sort of like a flashback.  During October, I went a little pumpkin crazy.  I love pumpkin and so I made a ton of stuff with it.  However, I still had one can of pumpkin left over and so today's recipe had to happen.  The "future teachers" were told that we should treat ourselves in some way after the recruitment fair.  My mind immediately traveled to dessert.  I came home and Casey and I made Pumpkin Souffles and then topped them with maple whipped cream.  This recipes is really good, super simple, and amazingly light (sort of like those cupcakes).  I guess they our on my mind because I love little treats that don't make you feel absolutely terrible after you eat them.  In fact, these pumpkin souffles could be a breakfast item.  They have no flour and use light maple syrup instead of sugar.  Crazy right?  You have to try these!


Pumpkin Souffle (adapted from Serious Eats)


Ingredients:
4 eggs, separated
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
3 tbsp light maple syrup
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of salt
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp maple syrup

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 and lightly grease 6 6 oz ramekins.
2. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, pumpkin, and maple syrup.
3.  In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.  Mix a heaping spoonful of the egg whites into the pumpkin mixture and stir to combine.  Then pour the pumpkin mixture into the egg whites and, using a spatula, fold gently until just combined.  Divide the batter amongst the ramekins.
4.  Place ramekins on a baking tray and place in oven.  Immediately reduce heat to 350 and bake for 25 minutes.
5.  While they are baking, in a large bowl, beat the cream until stiff peaks.  Mix in the maple syrup.  Top finished souffles with the whipped cream.

Enjoy :)

2 comments: