Friday, December 7, 2012

Peppermint Brownies

Yet another week in Middle School has gone by and I can't belive that we are only 2 weeks away from winter break! This week, we started Looking for Pythagoras.  I think it is pretty cool how students are led to discover the Pythagorean Theorem and I think that this is going to be a really great unit to teach.

In other news, I just found out that my original Student Teaching placement for the Spring is not going to work as the teacher I was going to work with has recently decided to accept another job.  This is very exciting for him, but I had a little bit of a panic attack.  However, the school of education found another placement for me and it looks like all will be well.  I am going to be at a different school teaching geometry, algebra 2, and pre-calculus.  This sounds super awesome and I am crazy excited.  I am meeting with my new cooperating teacher next week and I can't wait to check out the new school!

This week was also exciting because I made Peppermint Brownies for the DTS study night.  Then, I had so many leftovers that I brought them in for a little teacher treat at school.  I love sharing these things with the people I care about and it was so exciting seeing how happy everyone was after having these guys.  This past summer, I tested a bunch of brownie recipes and came up with the best one: Dark Chocolate Fudge Brownies.  Then, I just adapted this recipe after being inspired by the Galley Gourmet.  You have to make these! They are a great holiday treat!

Peppermint Brownies

Ingredients:
For the Brownie Layer:
10 tbsp unsalted butter
8 oz. unsweetened bakers chocolate
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp instant espresso powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp peppermint extract
pinch of salt
1 cup flour
10 oz dark and mint chocolate chips
For the Peppermint Frosting Layer:
8 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tbsp skim milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
For the Topping:
4 tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
crushed candy canes

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a 13 by 9 inch baking pan with foil.  Lightly grease the foil.
2. In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the bakers chocolate with the butter.  Stir frequently until smooth and then stir in the sugar until well combined.  Stir in the eggs until well combined.  Next, stir in the espresso powder, vanilla, peppermint extract, and salt.  Mix in the flour until just combined.
3. Pour the brownie batter into your prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool completely
4.  Make the frosting by beating the butter, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and peppermint extract until well combined and fluffy.  Spread over the cooled brownies.
5.  To make the topping, melt the butter and the chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds. Repeat until mixture is melted and smooth.  Spread over the frosting layer and then sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top.  Place the brownies in the fridge to set. Once set, cut into squares and serve!
Enjoy :)

7 comments:

  1. These look incredible!!
    Can't wait to make!
    Stop by our blog hop today
    XO
    Ash@ABpetite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodie, these look so good! I would like to share them on Daily Dish next week, okay? Thanks for sharing on FFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love brownies and I love peppermint! What a wonderful combination! Thank you for linking up to Foodie Friends Friday! I can't wait to see what you bring next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I couldn't resist stopping over from Foodie Friends Friday! What a yummy brownie! A sure crowd pleaser!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look SOO delicious! I want to make them and try them now... :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great recipe ,,,
    thank you

    Why you do not try to add photolink or cherry share button from http://www.foodlve.com
    so you will increase the traffic and the views

    ReplyDelete