Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Monster Cookies

Wow.  I just had a crazy long and exhausting day.  This full-time teaching gig is making me the happiest I think I have ever been as well as the tiredest.

Today, after teaching for 3 straight blocks, there was a staff meeting, then I tutored, then I ran 3 miles (training for that Half Marathon) and then I finally got home and showered just in time to spend a few hours planning/grading and getting ready for tomorrow.  Then, I passed out.

I am having an amazing time teaching.  I love high school and I thoroughly enjoy getting to know the students and making connections with everyone.  I am having a blast!

In geometry, I just came up with a fabulous way to make new groups.  Students sit in groups of four.  The next unit is about quadrilaterals and so to get new groups, each table is going to be a different quadrilateral.  As students come into the room, I am going to hand them a slip of paper that has some information about a quadrilateral.  Then, students will have to figure out which table they belong at.  I am excited to see how this goes!

In Algebra 2, I just graded tests for the first time! It was so exciting to see how students think.  Also, it was great to see what content was being mastered and what content needed some help.  I am working on a little resource page for graphing exponential and logarithmic functions because, according to the tests, this is a developing topic for many students and they need some practice.  Yay being reflective!!!

I also help out in a Pre-Calculus class and Algebra 1 class.  In both of these, since I am not lead teaching, it has been fun to help out, get to know the students, and learn more from my cooperating teachers.

Plus, I am tutoring two students! One student is in Geometry and one is in Pre-Calculus.  Basically, I am a very busy girl.

A huge reason that I am getting through all this and staying sane, is my friend Tamara.  We both live in the same house and I can always count on her to be there for me when I need to chat.  We are both learning to become teachers and I don't know what I would do without her support.  Oh, and we both love to bake.  Isn't that perfect?  Recently, we made some awesome Monster Cookies and so that is what I have to share with you today!

Monster Cookies (adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction)


Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup natural, creamy peanut butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup M&Ms

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat butter with both sugars until light and fluffy.  Beat in the peanut butter until well combined.  Beat in the egg and then the vanilla.  Slowly mix in the flour mixture until just combined and then stir in the oats, chocolate chips and M&Ms.
4.  Drop tablespoon sized balls of dough on the prepared sheets and bake for about 10 minutes.  Let cool.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment