Thursday, February 21, 2013

Valentine's Day Red Velvet Cheesecake

I have been so busy lately that I still haven't told you all what I made for Valentine's Day!

I spent Valentine's Day in an amazing way with my best girl friends.  We got together, ate heart shaped pizza, had my heart shaped dessert, and watched Grey's Anatomy.  Afterwards, we got some half priced sangria at Icon and it was awesome.  Overall, it was a truly amazing night!

With all my craziness at school, it is so nice to be able to spend nights like that with amazing people.  School has been going really well!  Today I gave my first Team Test in geometry and I worked on a fun game for Friday where students will have to sort shapes based on their special properties.  I am trying really hard to make math interactive so that students are motivated while constantly reinforcing important concepts and ensuring that students are meeting standards.  Math should be fun and so I am doing as much as I can to make it that way!

Now it's time to tell you what I brought to girls night: Heart Shaped Red Velvet Cheesecakes with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting...yep!

Red Velvet Cheesecake (adapted from Baked By Rachel)

Ingredients:
10 oreos
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
12 oz light cream cheese
1 tbsp light sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
4 tsp red food coloring
1 egg

Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 cup heavy cream
4 oz light cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease 3 4 inch cheesecake pans (I had heart shaped ones).
2. In a food processor, crush oreos until they are crumbs.  Mix in the melted butter.  Divide into the three pans and press into the bottoms and a little up the sides. Place in oven for 5 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to 325.
4. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with sugar and sour cream until well combined.  Beat in the egg, cocoa powder, and food coloring until well combined.  Divide among the three pans.  Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the middles are not longer wobbly. Let cool for 1 hour.  Then, wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
5.  To make the whipped cream cheese frosting: in a large bowl beat the cream cheese with the sugar.  Beat in the whipping cream and vanilla and beat on high until stiff peaks form.  Top cheesecakes with frosting.

Enjoy :)

1 comment: