Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hard Cider Mac and Cheese

So, there might be another snow day tomorrow.  I know right? Another one! I am excited, but also a little overwhelmed about re-planning for the next day.  However, I am planning on getting a lot done if there is a snow day and I might even cook or bake! Who are we kidding, I'm definitely going to make something sweet.

Anyways, today was sort of fun since we played with puzzle pieces in Geometry and learned about central angles and interior angles of polygons.  It was a fun lesson that was accessible for everyone and that was really nice to see.

For lunch, I brought some of the Hard Cider Baked Macaroni and Cheese that I had left-over from this weekend.  I was in Madison this weekend and did not have a ton to do.  So, I cooked! It was really great and now I have leftovers to bring for lunch!  This macaroni and cheese is super tasty and you should all give it a try.  Instead of the Woodchuck Amber that the original recipe called for, I used the new Woodchuck "Spring" Blend.  This added a sweetness that was really great with the apples, onions and cheddar cheese.  Okay, lets also talk cheese.  I go to school in Wisconsin and so I have access to some pretty fabulous cheese.  For this recipe I used Sharp Aged Babcock Cheddar.  This is the stuff that is made on campus and it was awesome.  Enough chit-chat, here is the recipe for Hard Cider Baked Macaroni and Cheese.

Hard Cider Baked Macaroni and Cheese (adapted from Bakeaholic Mama)


Ingredients:
12 oz whole wheat pasta
16 oz Aged Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 cup Woodchuck Hard Cider
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp unsalted butter
3 tbsp whole wheat flour
1/2 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cook pasta according to directions until al dente, drain and set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and toss in onions and apples.  Cook for about 5-10 minutes or until onion is translucent.  Toss in the flour and stir to coat.  Things should look crusty.  Pour in the cider, milk, and cream and bring to a boil.  Stir in abou 3/4 of the cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat and stir in mustard, paprika, salt, and pepper.  Pour cheese sauce over the pasta, stir to combine and place in 10 or 12 inch skillet or oven-proof dish.
4.  Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top and bake for 20 minutes.

Enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jodie, This recipe sounds delicious. I'm a big mac & cheese lover. I'll be giving this recipe a try.

    Thanks so much for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday,
    Joanne/Winelady Cooks

    ReplyDelete