Monday, March 18, 2013

Strawberry Champagne Cupcakes

I think I want to start off this week with a great recipe that is all about cupcakes.

But first, I am still training for my half marathon and this week was pretty great.  I was able to get in two 3 mile runs, one 4 mile run and one 5 mile run during the week.  I am also working on a "Six Pack March Madness" where you do push ups and crunches every day to work towards a six pack!  Then, on the weekend, I ran 4 miles one day and did the Shamrock Shuffle 10K the other day! It was a lot of fun to run a race with some of my friends.  Lauren, Patrick and I all did the 10K since we are all training for the half.  I think we are going to do great!  Oh, and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Today's recipe is a yummy cupcake recipe.  I really like the recipe for champagne cupcakes that I made ages ago.  So I decided to make those again and then, inspired by my strawberry loving friend Tamara, I topped them off with a Strawberry Champagne Buttercream Frosting.  Yes, you read correctly, champagne in the cupcakes and the frosting.  They were delicious.

Champagne Cupcakes with Strawberry Champagne Frosting

Ingredients:
For the Cupcakes:
6 egg whites
5 oz unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 2/3 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup Champagne
For the Frosting:
8-10 strawberries
1 cup unsalted butter
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tbsp Champagne

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and prepared cupcake pans.
2. Beat egg whites in a medium bowl until stiff peak forms.  Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together.
4.  In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Alternate adding in the flour with the champagne.  Start with the flour and end with the flour.  Fold in egg whites.
5.  Fill cupcake wells about 3/4 full and bake for 20-23 minutes.
6.  Make the frosting: beat butter until light and fluffy.  Puree the strawberries in a food processor until you have a liquid mixture.  Beat in strawberries.  Beat in powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time until frosting thickens.  Beat in the champagne.  Add more powdered sugar if needed.  Frost cooled cupcakes!

Enjoy :)



1 comment: