Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Vegetarian Spinach Carbanara

Today's recipe is yummy vegetarian version of the typical Carbanara.  Instead of prosciutto, you use spinach and it is super yummy.  But first, I want to tell you about my interviews!

I am waiting to hear back from some places, but I have interviewed a few times now and I think it gets a little easier every time. The catch is that every place is different! Something that I had never heard of was a school coming to watch you teach in the classroom where you are a student teacher as a second round to the interview.  That was a nerve-wracking experience! I have also had interviews where a committee of five people are there to listen versus one where there was only one person.  Then, the times have varied from 15 minutes to a whole hour! I also have had to write writing samples explaining my ideal school or a letter home to parents introducing myself. I have always been nervous, but I think that trick is to be over-prepared.  I have dressed in an adorable and simple dress with a blazer, worn comfortable-yet-cute shoes, brought a binder with some of my work as a sample portfolio, and arrived about 30 minutes early.  You never want to be running late! While, the school may be accommodating  it will make you feel sick to your stomach.  In terms of the sample portfolio, build it as if you could direct the interview.  What do you want to showcase about yourself?  If you were asking the questions what would you want to share?  Here is what I included:

  • My Educational Philosophy
  • An example lesson that incorporates Discovery Based Learning
  • An example lesson that incorporates Technology
  • A classroom management strategy that I use
  • A few of my favorite lessons that were successful
  • A few worksheets that I created
  • A sample of student work
  • Letters of Recommendation and an Observation
I have shown something from this portfolio in all of my interviews except for one.  if it doesn't feel right to show something  don't force it.  It is just good to have these things on hand just in case.  Also, in each of these I include explanations, connections to standards, and pictures if I have them.  So far, I have felt that I have done basically my best.  There are always a few moments that I wish I could re-do or re-word my answer, but at the end of the day I have been overall pleased with how these are going.  Now, I just have to wait and see!

Vegetarian Spinach Carbanara (adapted from Drizzle & Dip)

Ingredients:
8 oz whole wheat angel hair pasta
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup creme fraiche
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 cups baby spinach
zest of one lemon
salt and pepper

Directions:
1. Prepare pasta according to directions until al dente.  Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water, drain the rest and place pasta back in the cooking pot.
2.  While the pasta is cooking, get your other ingredients ready.  Lightly beat the egg yolk.
3. Once pasta is drained and back in the pot, place the baby spinach in with the reserved water and let cook until wilted.  Stir in the egg yolk and then the creme fraiche, parmesan, and lemon zest.  Season with salt and pepper (I just did pepper).

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment