Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pasta Bolognese: Daddy's Favorite

I am once again up way to early.  I have a camp field trip today to a waterpark and then I have people coming over to celebrate the 4th and go to the fireworks! All my friends are putting together a little potluck and I can't wait to share what I am making for it! I am going to make a Veggie Flatbread, but I haven't worked out all the details yet.  Please, I have until 5...

I am also planning on running this fine morning before I get ready for camp.  We will see how that goes since my knee has been feeling a little stiff.  When I am running it feels okay but after I run it stiffens up!  I have been stretching/resting as much as I can so I am hoping that this will just go away.

Today I wanted to tell you about the Bolognese Sauce that I made for a special Dad's dinner.  I wasn't able to see my dad for actual Father's Day so I made him his favorite dinner for another night! Pasta Bolognese!  It was super delicious and you should definitely give this recipe a try.  However, make sure you allow plenty of time to make it or make it the day before since it takes so freaking long!

Pasta Bolognese (adapted from the Food Network)

Ingredients:
1 large white onion, roughly chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
5 cloves garlic
olive oil
salt
3 pounds ground chuck
2 cups tomato paste
3 cups red wine
3 bay leaves
a bundle of thyme (tied together with string)
1 lb. spaghetti
fresh parmesan

Directions:
1. In a food processor, process the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until you have a smooth paste.
2. Place paste in a large pan coated with oil over medium heat and stir until it reduces and begins to brown, about 20 minutes.  Season with salt.
3. Add the beef and continue to cook until browned, another 20 minutes.  Season with salt.
4.  Pour mixture into a large pot over medium heat and add in the tomato paste.  Cook for another 5 minutes.  Add in the wine and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add water to the pot until it is about 1/2 inch above the beef.  Add in the bay leaves and thyme and stir to combine.  Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.  Let simmer for 4 hours and add water, about 2-3 cups at a time, when mixture reduces and looks thirsty.  I added water two more times after the first addition.  Season with salt.
7.  Store the bolognese sauce until ready to use or prepare your spaghetti to al dente and drain.  Serve spaghetti with a generous topping of bolognese and garnish generously with freshly shaved parmesan cheese.

Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment