Thursday, August 27, 2015

Vegetarian Black Bean and Avocado Burritos

Today I am sharing some really big news! I got a new job!  I am still teaching high school math, but now I am at a school much closer to my home!  I used to commute for about 1 hour and 15 minutes each way to and from school.  Now, my commute is about 25 minutes.  It's amazing!  Plus, I am working at this amazing new school in Chicago and I am learning so much.  I have been there for a few weeks getting ready and now the first day for my students is right around the corner!  I can't wait! 

I have been really busy with all the changes so I have been a little bit behind on cooking and sharing what I'm cooking.  However, I am starting to adjust to this new life and a 25 minute commute means I get home much earlier than usual and therefore have more time to actually make dinner!  Here is one of my new dinners that I am really into.  It was really easy, vegetarian (so Bri's a big fan), and quick.  It is a great weeknight meal and you end up with leftovers for lunches! 

Vegetarian Black Bean and Avocado Burritos
(Adapted from The Kitchn)
Oven ready burritos!
Ingredients:
12 whole wheat tortillas
2 chiles in adobo sauce, minced
1 cup non-fat, plain greek yogurt
2 15 oz cans of low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
2 avocados, peeled and diced
2 cups of your favorite salsa
1 cup shredded light Mexican cheese


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a 13 by 9 inch pan.
2. In a food processor, combine the chiles, a few tsp of adobo sauce, and greek yogurt.  Add in 1 can of the black beans and pulse to combine.  You should get a nice paste mixture.  
3. In a bowl, combine the black bean paste, the other can of black beans, and the chopped avocado.  
4. Spoon a few tbsp of the mixture into the center of a tortilla.  Roll to create your burrito and place seam down in the pan.  Repeat with the rest.  
5. Pour the salsa over the tops of the burritos and then top with the shredded cheese.  Wrap tinfoil over the top and place in the oven for 20 minutes.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment