Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Squash Shakshuka with Baked Eggs

I saw my friend, Tamara, yesterday and I went with her and her family to get her bridesmaids dress and go to dinner.  She looks super amazing.  She always looked super amazing, but that girl has been going to the gym, eating healthy, and she just looked fantastic.  I have been trying to get in that mode, but I have been running into some obstacles: THE HOLIDAYS.  So, starting today, I am going to be working on staying more focused, eating healthy/homecooked meals and winter marathon training just started so I'll be running/working out as well.  

The holidays are really starting to catch up with me.  I feel like all we do is eat!  It has been a ton of fun, but now I am trying to get back into "real life mode."  So, today I'm sharing a recipe with you that I found on The Kitchn.  It is a great recipe for a weeknight and it is sort of like a breakfast for dinner thing, which we love.  It was easy to put together and looked fairly impressive:


Squash Shakshuka with Baked Eggs

Ingredients:
2 lbs squash (I used zucchini and yellow squash)
kosher salt
olive oil
2 shallots, sliced
3 cloves garlic minced
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 lb tomatoes, chopped
4 oz goat cheese
1/4 cup basil, chopped
4 large eggs
black pepper

Directions:
1. Cut off the ends of the squash and grate using a box grater.  Place all the grated squash into a colander with 1 tbsp of kosher salt and let sit.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. In an oven-safe skillet, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat and add in the shallots, garlic, and paprika.  Cook until fragrant.  
4. Using paper towels, squeeze as much liquid from the squash as you can and then add this to the skillet. Add in the tomatoes as well and stir occasionally until the ingredients are no longer releasing liquid.  Stir in the goat cheese and basil. 
5. Remove from heat and create 4 wells in the mixture.  Place an egg in each of the wells and bake for 10 minutes.  Once done, sprinkle some black pepper over the mixture.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment