In the past few months since our wedding, we have been having a really fun time trying out all our new kitchen toys! I have been having a blast baking and cooking and trying out new recipes. Recently, I ended up with a lot of extra zucchini because I was going to roast them with some other veggies, but then I had a ton of other veggies so then I saved them for zucchini bread!
I tried out a new recipe from America's Test Kitchen and I adapted it a tad to include dark chocolate chips. I'm not sure I really believe in not including chocolate when the opportunity presents itself. And so, I made this amazing Dark Chocolate Zucchini Bread.
This bread came out super amazing. It was flavorful and stayed together nicely. It stayed moist for a long time and was delicious with apple butter or regular butter. This bread is great if you have a lot of zucchini lying around so make it before it goes out of season!
Dark Chocolate Zucchini Bread
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 small zucchini shredded
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
pinch of cloves
3/4 cups dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 and grease a loaf pan.
2. Beat the brown sugar, canola oil, eggs, and vanilla together in a large bowl.
3. Shred the zucchini using a grater onto a paper towel. Cover with another paper towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Add the zucchini to the wet mixture and beat to combine.
4. Add in the flour, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves. Beat until just combined.
5. Add in the dark chocolate chips and stir to combine. Pour into prepared loaf pan.
6. Bake for 65 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.